Red Hawks rained out in Chico

Simpson University Sports News


CHICO, Calif. - Thursday’s doubleheader between Simpson University and Chico State at Nettleton Stadium was cancelled due to heavy rain. The Red Hawks and Wildcats played three-and-a-half innings before rain abruptly halted the proceedings. After a 40-minute delay, the game was officially cancelled with no makeup or resumption scheduled. Chico State and Simpson will start from scratch Saturday, and despite another wet day in the forecast, the two teams will attempt to square off for a doubleheader scheduled to start at noon.

The game included 10 runs and 15 hits, with Simpson leading 6-4 before the rain ended the contest. Chico State starting pitcher Michael Gleason had a rocky season debut, allowing six runs and seven hits in an inning-and-a-thirds, but relievers Bryn Calhoun and Sheldon Lechuga fared well, combining for two-and-a-third innings of one hit, shutout ball. Offensively, Jordan Larson had two of the Wildcats’ seven hits, with newcomers Johnny Hay and Adrian Bringas each picking up a RBI.

Simpson University got on the board in the top of the first inning when Jared Jordon led off the game with a single and eventually scored on an Aarason Perry sacrifice fly. Chico State grabbed the lead in the bottom of the first, taking advantage of two Red Hawks’ errors to plate three unearned runs. Simpson came back to bat around in the second inning, stringing together five consecutive hits and scoring five times to knock out Gleason and take a 6-3 lead. Perry provided the big blow with a two-out, two-run double following RBI hits by Jordon, Jake Gill and Shane Battles.

The Wildcats trimmed the Red Hawks’ lead in the bottom of the third, as Adam Arakawa led off the inning with a double and scored on Bringas’ single to center to make it a 6-4 ballgame. Chico State would load the bases with nobody out, but a chance for a big inning went by the wayside as Simpson starter Dustin Stoddard got Travis Kruger to pop out to third, strike out Kyle Leon and retire Jordan Larson on a grounder to second to end the threat.

After Lechuga retired the Red Hawks in order in the top of the fourth, the hard, steady rain forced play to stop, and with the tarp rolled over the field, the day’s action effectively came to an end. Since the game was cancelled and will not be made up, none of the game statistics will be counted.

Saturday’s noon doubleheader will be broadcast live, with Mitch Cox calling the play-by-play, on ESPN 101.7 FM locally and on the Internet via the Wildcat Athletics website.


Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.
(530) 226-4731