Simpson named No. 3 at NAIA regional tourney
Simpson University Sports News
REDDING, Calif. - Simpson University’s women’s softball team was named the No. 3 seed in the second annual NAIA Unaffiliated Grouping #2 Softball Tournament on Sunday, April 29. The Red Hawks earned their place in the tournament after clinching the California Pacific Conference title for the second time in the team’s four-year history. They finished the regular season with a conference record of 11-4 and an overall record of 25-24.
2012 marks the first year that the Golden State Athletic Conference joins the California Pacific Conference and the Frontier Conference representatives in the Unaffiliated Grouping tournament. By agreement, the team with the best record overall would host the tournament.
In addition to Simpson, fellow Cal Pac member William Jessup University qualified for the tournament. William Jessup finished second in conference play and earned the No. 5 seed in the regional tournament.
By virtue of their Golden State Athletic Conference championship, their 51-3 record, and NAIA No. 1 national ranking, the Concordia University of Irvine Eagles will host the tournament in Irvine, Calif., starting Thursday, May 3. The Eagles are the first seed and will be joined by their fellow Golden State Athletic Conference members in Azusa Pacific University (No. 2 seed), Vanguard University (No. 4 seed), and Hope International University (No. 6 seed).
The seedings are as follows:
- No. 1 - Concordia University of Irvine
- No. 2 - Azusa Pacific University
- No. 3 - Simpson University
- No. 4 - Vanguard University
- No. 5 - William Jessup University
- No. 6 - Hope International University
The schedule for the double elimination tournament is as follows:
Thursday, May 3
- Game A: No. 4 Vanguard vs. No. 5 William Jessup 9:30 a.m.
- Game B: No. 3 Simpson vs. No. 6 Hope International 11:45 a.m.
- Game C: Winner A at No. 1 Concordia of Irvine 2 p.m.
- Game D: Winner B vs. No. 2 Azusa Pacific 4:15 p.m.
Friday, May 4
- Game E: Loser of Game A vs. Loser of Game B 9:30 a.m.
- Game F: Winner of Game E vs. Loser of C/D (worse seed) 11:45 a.m.
- Game G: Winner of Game D vs. Winner of Game E 2 p.m.
- Game H: Winner of Game F vs. Loser of C/D (better seed) 4:15 p.m.
Saturday, May 5
- Game I: Winner of Game H vs. Loser of Game G 11 a.m.
- Game J: Winner of Game G vs. Winner of Game I 1:15 p.m.
- Game K: If necessary 3:30 p.m.
Courtesy of the NAIA
Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.