Red Hawk wrestlers shine at nationals
Simpson University Sports News
DES MOINES, Iowa. - For three Red Hawk wrestlers the trip to Des Moines, Iowa, for the NAIA National Wrestling Championships was a tremendous success. Freshman Brady Beamon from Spring Valley, Calif., finished 4-3 and placed eighth in the 165 pound weight class. Freshman Austin Lobsinger from Happy Valley, Calif., went 5-2 and placed fourth at heavyweight. And junior captain Anthony Vega of Olivehurst, Calif., finished 4-2 and placed fifth at 141 pounds. The Red Hawk trio are the first wrestlers to earn All-American honors at the NAIA National level.
Following is a breakdown of their road to All American status - schools and scores of matches at nationals:
- Lost 3-5 Campbellsville University, Ky (returning finalist)
- Won 2-1 Midland University, Neb
- Won 7-1 Morningside College, Iowa
- Won 7-6 Wayland Baptist University, Texas
- Lost 2-6 Lindsey Wilson U., Ky
- Won 5-3 Cumberland U., Tenn.
- Won 3-1 Hastings College, Neb.
- Lost 6-17 Grandview University, Iowa (eventual champion)
- Won 6-3 Life University, Ga.
- Won 9-0 Dakota Wesleyan University, S.D.
- Won by pin Grandview University, Iowa
- Lost 5-8 Oklahoma City University, Okla.
- Lost 1-3 Southern Oregon University, Ore.
- Lost 5-20 Grandview University, Iowa (2-time National Champion)
- Won by pin Wayland Baptist University, Texas
- Won by pin Morningside College, Iowa
- Won by pin Missouri Baptist University, Mo.
- Won 4-3 Great Falls University, Mont.
- Won 2-1 Menlo College, Calif.
- Lost by pin Dickinson State University, N.D.
As a team, the first year Red Hawk wrestlers finished in 11th place in the national tournament. There were 37 teams who qualified wrestlers to the tournament.
Written by Don Williams
Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.