Simpson named No. 2 at NAIA regional tourney
Simpson University Sports News
REDDING, Calif. - The Simpson University women's softball team was named the No. 2 seed in the NAIA Unaffiliated Grouping No. 1 (Cal Pac/GSAC) Softball Tournament on Sunday, April 21. Simpson will have their first game on Friday, April 26 at 11:45 a.m. The Red Hawks earned their place in the tournament after finishing the regular season with a conference record of 10-6 and an overall record of 32-24.
The NAIA Unaffiliated Grouping No. 1 (Cal Pac/GSAC) Softball Tournament is being hosted by No. 1 Concordia University of Irvine. The winner of the tournament receives an automatic bid to the 33rd Annual NAIA Softball National Tournament.
In addition to Simpson, fellow California Pacific Conference member William Jessup University qualified for the tournament. William Jessup is the No. 4 seed in the tournament and has their first game on Thursday, April 25 at 9:30 a.m. The two teams are currently tied at the top of the conference standings. If Red Hawks and Warriors play each other in the tournament, that game will serve as the "playoff" for the conference championship. If they do not play each other, the two teams will be declared as co-champions.
The Golden State Athletic Conference has four representatives in the tournament. Concordia University of Irvine, the NAIA's No. 1 team, is the top seed in the tournament. Vanguard University is the No. 3 seed, Hope International University is the No. 5 seed, and Biola University is the No. 6 seed.
In the first game of the tournament on Thursday, April 25, William Jessup will take on Hope International at 9:30 a.m.
All games will be played at Eagles Field on the campus of Concordia University of Irvine.
The schedule for the double elimination tournament is as follows:
Thursday, April 25
- Game 1 – No. 4 William Jessup vs. No. 5 Hope International (9:30 a.m.)
- Game 2 – No. 3 Vanguard vs. No. 6 Biola (11:45 a.m.)
- Game 3 – Loser of Game#1 vs. Loser of Game 2 (2 p.m.)
- Game No. 4 – Winner of Game 1 @ No. 1 Concordia (4:15 p.m.)
Friday, April 26
- Game 5 – No. 2 Simpson vs. Winner of Game 2 (11:45 a.m.)
- Game 6 – Loser of Game No. 4 vs. Winner of Game No. 3 (9:30 a.m.)
- Game 7 – Winner of Game 6 vs. Loser of Game 5 (2 p.m.)
- Game 8 – Winner of Game 4 vs. Winner of Game 5 (4:15 p.m.)
Saturday, April 27
- Game 9 – Loser of Game 8 vs. Winner of Game 7 (11:30 a.m.)
- Game 10 – Winner of Game 8 vs. Winner of Game 9 (2 p.m.)
- Game #11 (if necessary)
Story courtesy of the NAIA
Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.