Red Hawks Open Season with Home Loss to Menlo
Simpson University Sports News
REDDING, Calif. - The Simpson University’s men’s wrestling team opened its third season dual match competition with a home stand against West Region rival Menlo College from Atherton, Calif. With returning All-American junior Brady Beamon out with a hip injury, Simpson was forced to forfeit the 184 lb. weight class. This probable score swing sealed the match for Menlo, who took six of the ten weights and earned a 33-9 team victory.
After two close loses in the first two weights, the Red Hawks got on the score board with a 2-1 decision by 141 pound All-American A.J. Valles. Currently ranked fourth nationally in the NAIA, Valles defeated seventh-ranked Steele Escobedo with a riding-time point after a 1-1 tie at the end of the match.
At 157 pounds, Richie Ortiz wrestled strongly against a very defensive Christian Franks of Menlo. After a scoreless first round, Ortiz was able to penetrate Franks’ defense and power on to a 6-1 decision. This was followed by a comeback victory from first-year Red Hawk Dominic Merlo at 165 pounds. Trailing 3-4 after two rounds, Merlo scored an escape and takedown in the third round, and then controlled Zac Groves for the remainder of the time to earn an additional riding-time point and a 7-4 decision.
The remaining matches went Menlo’s way, earning them a 33-9 team win over host Simpson.
- 125 Elias Hernandez (M) 7-3 decision over Mason Sauseda (SU)
- 133 Brian Ha (M) 6-4 decision over Hayden Zimmerman (SU)
- 141 A.J. Valles (SU 2-1 decision over Steel Escobedo (M)
- 149 Jose Maldonado (M) pinned Blaine Lindahl (SU)
- 157 Richie Ortiz (SU) 6-1 decision over Christian Franks (M)
- 165 Dominic Merlo (SU) 7-4 decision over Zac Grove (M)
- 174 Josh Sowma (M) 5-2 decision over Matt Tsarnas (SU)
- 184 Nick Karis (M) won by forfeit
- 197 Paul Bracamonte (M) 6-4 decision over Erik Medina (SU)
- 285 Scott Brazil (M) pinned Augie Alcantar (SU)
Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.