Red Hawks Battle University of Great Falls
Simpson University Sports News
REDDING, Calif. - Simpson University’s men’s wrestling team hosted NAIA No. 3 University of Great Falls (Montana) on Nov. 21. With their three returning All-Americans and two national qualifiers out of the line-up due to injuries and redshirt, it didn’t shape up on paper to be much of a match. However, the scrappy young Red Hawks put up a respectable fight and finished the night with their heads up.
After Ty Young lost by pin in the 125-pound weight class, freshman Fabian Aguilera knotted the match with a pin of his own against Jared Berlinger at 133 pounds. The next Red Hawk victory was not until the 174-pound weight class. Sophomore Matt Tsarnas battled to a 3-2 decision over No. 7 ranked senior Brock Picard.
At 197 pounds, freshman Erik Medina pinned Andreas Geranios in the second round. Redshirt freshman Augie Alcantar (285 pounds) caught his Argo opponent, Dylan Lemery, off guard with a surprising first round pin.
When the final score was tallied, the Argos took the victory with a 29-21 final. Following are the match by match results:
- 125 Luke Schlosser (UGF) pinned Ty Young (SU)
- 133 Fabian Aguilera (SU) pinned Jared Berlinger (UGF)
- 141 Kyle Wilson (UGF) 10-2 major decision over Christian Mac Brayne (SU)
- 149 Ryan Martin (UGF) pinned Blaine Lindahl (SU)
- 157 Khaldoon Rashid (UGF) won by forfeit
- 165 Billy Goforth (UGF) 10-5 decision over Dominic Merlo (SU)
- 174 Matt Tsarnas (SU) 3-2 decision over Brock Picard (UGF)
- 184 Taylor Vaughn (UGF) 10-1 major decision over Marcus Zachary (SU)
- 197 Erik Medina (SU) pinned Andreas Geranios (UGF)
- 285 Augie Alcantar (SU) pinned Dylan Lemery (UGF)
Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.