Red Hawks fall to Warner Pacific
Simpson University Sports News
REDDING, Calif. - Simpson University’s men’s wrestling team took on Warner Pacific University from Portland, Ore., on Nov. 21. The match started out strongly for the Red Hawks, when freshman Fabian Aguilera (133) followed Ty Young’s forfeit win with a 10-1 major decision over Josh Crager.
Warner Pacific then took advantage the injured Red Hawks and took control of the match with four straight wins and one forfeit in the next five weights. Sophomore Marcus Zachary was the next to put points on the board for Simpson with a 5-2 decision over Miguel Simon at 184 pounds. Zachary was wrestling up a weight to fill in for injured All-American Brady Beamon.
In the 197-pound match, freshman Erik Medina wasted no time with his Warner opponent, notching a first round pin over Nathan Bauer.
The final team score was Simpson 19 and Warner Pacific 30. Complete individual match results follow:
- 125 Ty Young (SU) won by forfeit
- 133 Fabian Aguilera (SU) 10-1 major decision over Josh Crager
- 141 Amari Sengsavanh (WP) pinned Christian MacBrayne (SU)
- 149 Eric Luna (WP) 15-0 technical over Blaine Lindahl (SU)
- 157 Robert Frasier (WP) won by forfeit
- 165 Josh Terrones (WP) 15-3 major decision over Dominic Merlo (SU)
- 174 Joe Dickinson (WP) 4-2 decision over Matt Tsarnas (SU)
- 184 Marcus Zachary (SU) 5-2 decision over Miguel Simon (WP)
- 197 Erik Medina (SU) pinned Nathan Bauer (WP)
- 285 Stephen Wilbert (WP) pinned Augie Alcantar (SU)
Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.