Cal Pac Tournament Preview: No. 2 Simpson vs. No. 3 Pacific Union
Simpson University Sports News
REDDING, Calif. - The Simpson University men’s basketball team earned the No. 2 seed in the 2015 California Pacific Conference men’s basketball championship tournament. The Red Hawks (16-14, 8-2) will face No. 3 Pacific Union (11-16, 6-4) in a tourament semifinal, which is schedule to start around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 28. The tournament is being hosted by Cal Maritime, and all games will be held in Vallejo, Calif.
- Simpson (16-14, 8-2) takes on Pacific Union (11-16, 6-4) Saturday, Feb. 28 at Cal Maritime Gymnasium. Tipoff is set for 8:30 p.m. with Connor Sutton and Garrett Thompson calling the action for the Red Hawks.
- The Red Hawks enter the game ranked No. 2 in the Cal Pac. Pacific Union falls behind at the No. 3 spot.
- Simpson has only two losses in conference play, while Pacific Union enters playoffs with four conference losses.
The Last Time Out
- Simpson is coming off a 78-89 loss to the No. 1 Cal Maritime Keelhaulers, who also won the regular season Cal Pac title.
- Anthony Williams was the team’s leading scorer with 20 points. He was also 8-for-13 from the field and 2-for-2 from the free throw line.
- Dalton Thacker finished the night with double digits in scoring, having 19 points, two assists and six rebounds.
- Senior Ian Corella finished the night with 15 points; another senior contributing on the night was Shaquille Jones, who scored 10 points.
- Simpson shot 43% from the field and 77% from the free throw line. Simpson was outrebounded by only one to the Keelhaulers.
By the Numbers
- Simpson ranks No. 6 in DII in total steals (290) and No. 9 in steals per game (9.667).
- Anthony Williams ranks No. 9 in total steals (64). He also ranks No. 16 for steals per game (2.133).
- Shaquille Jones also makes an appearance in the top 50 at No. 30 for total steals (50). He is also at No. 45 for steals per game (1.667).
- Simpson is No. 33 in turnover margin (2.033), No 33 in total scoring offense (2306), No. 38 in field goal percentage (0.466), No. 49 in scoring offense per game (76.867), and No. 50 in total assists (402).
- Sixth man, Marc Kirkland, earned the No. 43 ranking for total steals (47).
- Dalton Thacker leads the team in three categories. He averages 15.2 points per game, 5.1 rebounds per game, and 2.5 assists per game.
- Ian Corella leads the team in blocks with 0.93 per game and 28 blocks total.
- In a team matchup between Simpson and Pacific Union, Simpson comes out on top in all statistics except rebounds per game and free throw percentage.
Written by Hannah Saylor
Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.