NCCAA West Regional Tournament Preview: Simpson vs. Bethesda
Simpson University Sports News
REDDING, Calif. - The Simpson University men’s basketball team has earned a spot in the NCCAA West Regional Championship game. The Red Hawks will face Bethesda University in the regional championship game at 7 p.m. on March 10 in the Heritage Student Life Center on Simpson University’s campus.
- Simpson takes on Bethesda with Connor Sutton and Garrett Thompson calling the action for the Red Hawks.
- Simpson has only three losses in conference play, including the championship game.
The Last Time Out
- Simpson is coming off an 85-76 loss in overtime to the No. 1 Cal Maritime Keelhaulers, who also won the regular season California Pacific Conference title.
- Ian Corella was the team’s leading scorer with 22 points. He also had nine rebounds on the night.
- Anthony Williams was the second highest scorer with 19 points. Williams also had multiple three-pointers at much needed times helping to send the Red Hawks into overtime.
- Dalton Thacker also finished the night in double digits, having 15 points along with seven rebounds and four steals.
- Simpson shot 31% to Maritime’s 44% for total field goals. Simpson was outrebounded by only two to the Keelhaulers.
By the Numbers
- Thacker leads the team in points, rebounds, and assists. Corella leads Simpson in blocks, and Williams leads in steals.
- Shaquille Jones is ranked 31st in total steals and 47th in steals per game.
- Simpson is No. 33 in turnover margin (2.031), No. 30 in total scoring offense (2477), No. 43 in field goal percentage (0.461), No. 47 in scoring offense per game (77.406), and No. 48 in total assists (426).
Written by Hannah Saylor
Contact: Derrick Pringle, Jr.